Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Rare's Soapbox: Sinful Food for the Price of Sin


I am thou... thou art I... hold on, hold on... back up *record scratch* that comes after ok?

For the past few weeks I've been ignoring the recent controversy involving Chick-Fil-A and the company revealing it's fangs as an advocate for anti gay marriage. Now, it seems to be filling the Internet with both for and against Chick Fil A because of this subject.

To those who won't honestly pay attention to this (I had an excuse, Persona 4), COO of Chick-Fil-A Dan Cathy came out and revealed that he and his company have been donating some funds to oppose same-sex marriage. This has caused a lot of people in a tizzy starting up boycotts to Chick Fil A and telling people not to eat there.

Now, let me get this out of the way: Not only is same-sex marriage a touchy subject, but this is not the right time to do so. Besides, they violated Rule of Honor #216; First rule of mixing business with religious politics, DO NOT mix business with religious politics! I am not one of marriage in general. I'm not ready. Marriage shouldn't just be limited to just one of opposite sex, but also to choose who your own partner in life is. Denying that privilege to everyone to choose their own mate is dishonorable.

I admit I grew up in semi strict catholic views, which led me to escape from Sunday School when they got too preachy to the point that it started to scare me. Think about it from my perspective. If you live in a lifestyle of seeing things black, white, and narrow, you aren't seeing the whole picture. Since then I've considered myself half catholic because I didn't finish. What would my life been like if I continued on their path? I would have been a soulless, bigoted robot who would have been spoon fed everything that isn't part of their world. The ultimate fate of that path, would be me ending up like the poor people of Jonestown; soulless; following one false belief, with no character development, and becoming a Shadow of who I am now. I know that makes no sense, but pretty much I would have ended up as those people who are against same sex marriage.

What do I think of this? This isn't about marriage, it's about gender equality and gender segregation. Just because some one's marriage and love goes against what your values are doesn't mean you should oust them. And as a business, Dan Cathy, if you are reading this, should be treating customers equally regardless of orientation. I'm straight as an arrow, but if I acted the opposite, would you deny me service?

And those following the bandwagon for and against, have you thought about this? Chick Fil A is a business, an entity that serves great fast food. What a business believes in and does shouldn't reflect what you believe in. Besides, In n Out is pretty much a Christian corporation and they stayed out of this shit. Hell, there are bible verses on the bottom of your sodas! Didn't you notice?

Any case, you guys should give this a rest. Everyone wants to get married to prolong humanity and keep it from declining. To start a family and raise their own children is the whole point of marrying someone. Would you deny this to everyone regardless of who they are? Or are you that dense in your own belief that you label someone a demon just because some one's partner is the same gender? Heck I was labeled a demon and a sinner by christian protesters just because I was a gamer. What the hell is that about? There is a thing called bromance where two friends punch each other for kicks. Just ask Yosuke Hanamura. And there is a thing called Yaoi where women go nuts of a feminine male romance blossoming. Need I mention that men like to see Yuri or lilies?

Take off those narrow value glasses for once and see the big picture. And Chick Fil A, stop this anti gay marriage thing and just keep serving food to everybody, regardless of difference. You're no different than what Disney. Judge not lest ye be judged... or was it Cast in the name of God ye not guilty? Wait, that was Big O. my bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment