Monday, August 19, 2013

Rare's Soapbox: Spoiler Alert: Get over it!

I just wanted to address something that I've briefly had to counter argue with: Spoilers. Every time I try to casually talk about something very vaguely I got hit with the spoilers warning. I'd like to offer my two cents on this whole spoilers thing. Also Vader's your dad Luke!

I am aware and understand that I should avoid spoilers for the sake of someone who hasn't seen it. It can be anything from a game (Aeris is dead) to a book (Snape killed Dumbledore) to a movie (Bella gets pregnant!)* to even an event, (Free slurpees on July 11th). Point is people will get pissed over a minor thing that's revealed and I have to say that maybe it's about time someone should say that mostly everyone might know that little secret of yours. (Teddie ate 5 Topsicles!)

If there's something that has yet to be utilized it's something that most people use just for laws, but it should be utilized for texts, fictional or not. I'm talking about Statue of Limitations. (Cirno is an idiot!)*1

Let's say after a certain amount of time passes before spoiler warning can be lifted to avoid a reveal. Let's say...6 months. It can be longer if necessary to give someone more time who just discovered it. So after 6 months to a year we can say the reveal of something. Let's take Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare. At the end of the game, John Marston becomes a zombie. Now that example there doesn't seem like a spoiler to me if this is on the freaking COVER! Again, that's just one example where spoilers have run it's course and therefore should be used in moderation. Also whatever fictional piece that may come into existence, what exactly constitutes what being a spoiler? Is it really of utmost deference that Bruce Wayne is Batman, or Kanji is not gay?

However, I still stick to Standards & Practices when it comes to revealing secrets (The main cast of K-on go to college!) and I promise not to spoil things for some (Cirno is the strongest!). But next time you slap me with the spoilers warning at least remember this: The cake will always be a lie. (No I haven't played Portal.)

*1 It's true. Straight from ZUN himself. 9 = Baka (idiot)

No comments:

Post a Comment